Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Indiana Here I am

Well, I made it to Indiana. Fort Wayne to be exact. I had planned on being here by 4 p.m. yesterday. That didn't happen. I got here about 7 pm, their time. I left home around 6 a.m, I got about 4 miles down the road when my husband called to ask me if I was suppose to take a bunch of clothes with that were STILL on the bedroom door. OOPS. Had to go back and get them. I had to make a stop in Hampshire, Illinois to get my friend's house key. I got behind another IDOT truck painting stripes. Talk about slow. This was followed by what was suppose to be a quick stop at my mom's house in Mundelein. NOT! I was there for a little while collecting things I needed to take home with me and stuff I needed to drop off. It only took about 35 minutes to get to my husband's mom's house to drop off my daughter. I was there longer than expected too. That's what happens when I get talking. Then there was my BIG goof. (brain was not engaged when looking at the map). I took the longest (time wise) way through Chicago. I should have just taken US 41 the whole way from Highland Park. I will NEVER make that mistake again. The next slowest part is driving through the Hobart & Merrillville areas on Route 30. LOTS of stop lights. Once I got through there it was pretty smooth driving.

Had a great dinner. Kay made chicken w/ rice and asparagus. Talked a little about stuff in general. I didn't go to sleep until about 2 am, I sat up looking at original 1860's ladies magazines. COOL.

Today, we walked up to the post office and talked about things that are going to be torn down and built along the way. Stopped at Starbucks for a muffin and a scone and stopped at the gas station for milk. Came back to the house and started talking about ballgowns. I picked a bodice from 1862 La Mode Illustree. It is going to be made from a teal & white check silk. It won't fit me but it will look really cool when it's done. I got the bodice lining cut out then I took a nap. Kay woke me up about an hour later. We had some lunch then I started cutting out the skirt for the ballgown. I learned how to cut out a gored skirt with no pattern. Cool. I'm going to try this for a riding habit skirt later (but with more of a train). Next, I cut the bodice out of the silk. Started pinning the bodice and lining together. As of 6:30 pm this is as far as I've gotten. Tomorrow morning I will start putting the bodice together (after breakfast).

We (Kay, Major & myself) walked up to the King Gyros for dinner. Really good gyros by the way. We stayed for 2 1/2 hours to watch them pull a Ford F-150 out of what used to be a Mexican restaurant across the street and then tear down most of the building. We then walked home and now hear I am updating my blog. I will post more on the ballgown adventure tomorrow.

No comments: