Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Pit Bulls! I love mine!

Okay, this is ridiculous. City of Elgin, IL to vote on banning Pit Bulls.



I am a Pit Bull owner, I'm tired of city officials thinking that the only way to deal with them is to ban them. Human beings made them what they are. We (humans) bred them & trained them to be dogfighters and what not. Most of the time good dogs. Occasionally & I stress occassionally they are not. I'm tired of the media making them out to be bad dogs, what really sucks is when the media tells you it was a pit bull and later turns out that it wasn't & they don't retract what they say.

Through my life I have owned several different breeds of dogs. My pit bull has been the best dog I've ever owned, she's well-behaved, rarely ever barks or whines, loves to give kisses & sit in your lap. She even lets my daughter use her as a pillow.

Just like any dog (and I mean any dog!) They can bite. I know plenty of people who would agree that they really don't like the little yippee dogs (you know the ones, the owners think they are oh so cute when the misbehave, because they don't bother to train them).

I don't care what type of dog you own, you have to be a responisble owner.

  1. Get them spayed or neutered.
  2. Get them trained. (There are loads of qualified people out there that can help you. Our local humane society has a Pit Bull specific class.)
  3. Always know where they are. (Just like children they can figure out how to sneak out.)

  4. Always supervise them when they are with friends and family.

  5. If you have other dogs or are planning on bringing in another. Talk to a professional animal behaviorist first.

  6. Beware of where you get your dog. (My dog came from the local humane society who does extensive behavior testing before letting any dog out for adoption and then rates them as to what type of home they can go to. i.e. no children, children over - insert age here, no cats, no other dogs, etc. So that people have some idea what they are in for.)

Please don't judge this breed because of the few that aren't breed ambassadors. Breed specific legislation doesn't work. The people who want these animals for the wrong reasons will ALWAYS find a way to own them!



No comments: